Delivery: Project Manager / Delivery Manager
Technical: Technical Architect / Solutions Architect
Role summary: You lead with and are responsible for the design, automation, operational and build needs of all infrastructure and application components. You ensure all functional, non-functional and quality requirements are met. You provide technical leadership, guidance and assurance across the breadth of Operations. These roles involve:
WebOps – Specialism in building platforms to create, deploy and operate digital services at web scale using public cloud providers.
DevOps – A superset of WebOps with an appreciation for other disciplines i.e. development, testing, security.
DataOps – A superset of WebOps with the benefit of experience with or interest in big-data technologies.
Role description: You lead the design and implementation of infrastructure or application components that meet user needs and quality standards by:
- Taking responsibility for the automation, deployment and operation of all components within a solution with a view to ensuring the service is ready for production.
- Taking responsibility for working practices and code quality.
- Leading with the design and building of components that are scalable, resilient, efficient, secure, cost-effective and minimise lock-in.
- Working with colleagues across disciplines to deliver or maintain an operationally ready service meeting all functional and non-functional requirements.
- Helping develop and improve existing Kainos best practices including configuration management and deployment.
- Coaching and mentoring of other technical staff across disciplines.
- Delivering advice, guidance and thought leadership to our customers and managers on the use of technology.
- Actively raising risks with both delivery and technical peers.
- Demonstrating an ability to work effectively within high-pressure environments.
- Reviewing and advising on commercially viable estimates and designs for technical work.
- Focusing on delivering a Minimum Viable Product and then iterating.
- Sharing knowledge with your colleagues and customers as openly as possible.
- Contributing to technical solutions as part of the sales process.
You know and can rationalise between different approaches to configure and manage infrastructure platforms.
You know the benefits and can contrast the use of many different cloud platforms relative to one another through personal experience.
You know how the internet works and have strong networking skills.
You know how to deploy web services to production environments.
You know, in depth, how Linux and/or Windows operating systems work and can perform advanced troubleshooting.
You know how to fully implement multiple configuration management tools and can contrast scenarios where you might use one tool over another.
You know how code should be released to production as part of a robust Continuous Delivery pipeline and can explain the importance of automated testing.
You know how to deploy and configure continuous integration tooling to support both development and deployment tasks.
You know how to apply version control systems to best suit project needs.
You appreciate how to design and engineer systems to meet performance, capacity, resilience and availability requirements.
You appreciate and can implement robust security controls across infrastructure components.
You appreciate how to monitor web services.
You appreciate how to design the storage and networking components of a cloud-based solution.
You can use at least 1 scripting language to automate tasks e.g. bash, python, ruby, batch, visualbasic or powershell.
You know how to tailor your communication to technical and management stakeholders.
You know how to make balanced decisions based on project and delivery risk within fast-moving environments.
You know how to prioritise your own time – and that of those around you – to ensure delivery remains on track.
- You have an open and progressive attitude to ongoing personal development and information sharing.
- You actively coach and mentor technical staff.
- You have advised colleagues at all levels on technologies and development practices.
You know what it takes to secure a public facing web service including application components.
You know how web services should be monitored.
- You actively share your thoughts and views on technology.
- You participate in technology communities.
- You contribute to open source projects.
Kainos is a professional services organisation with clients spread across the globe and we deliver projects both from client site, and from our offices. While we will attempt to base you on projects near or at your contracted office location, you need to be willing to travel to client sites and spend time away during the week if it is required.
Given the range and nature of work that we carry out for our clients, all Kainos employees are required to possesses up to date security clearance (Basic Disclosure, Access NI etc), if you do not already possess this, you will be asked to apply for it prior to joining Kainos.
We’re an inclusive bunch at Kainos and we believe in equal opportunity. We welcome applications from all walks
of life, including those with criminal records. Everyone who is offered a position here undergoes a background
check, however no one is treated differently due to their background where it isn’t relevant to the role. It’s
important to note – failure to reveal information which is relevant to the position sought, could result in us
having to withdraw the conditional offer of employment.
In short: Having a criminal record will not exclude you from a career with Kainos. This depends entirely on the
nature and requirements of the position, together with the circumstances and background of offences.